Tuesday, March 17, 2009


Kids grow up real fast. There are a lot of things I missed chornicling when my daughter was growing up. No blogs you see. But with my son, I've done a fair bit of memorable writing; stories I hope will bring a smile to his face when he grows up as it does mine when I read them.

Was prompted to write this post because every time we (Oorja, Abhir and I) are travelling together (minus the dad), using the restroom becomes a big issue. A few years ago, Abhir didn't understand the difference. Now he does. He stops in his tracks, be it on an airport, or a restaurant, claiming "This is a girl's toilet." He refuses to come in and do his business.

The big problem with letting him go to a gents restroom is that the urinals are too high for him and sometimes, especially in cinemas Ive been told, they do not have a closed door toilet that this little fellow can use. And frankly speaking, I am uncomfortable having a stranger help him do the job! So I just insist that he accompanies me and his sister to the ladies room.

One of my friends once remarked "Tell him to enjoy using the ladies' room while he can!" Anyway, it is a tug of war and I usually win. I know before long he will be old enough to move to the opposite door and that will be yet another 'oh he's grown up!' moment.

I can also remember very clearly the time when as a two year old he had to be taught to pee standing up. I blogged about it then and can't resist posting it here. Have fun reading!

How do you teach a little boy to pee standing up….especially if the teacher (in this case, ME) has no personal experience in the field?

It is not as easy as I’d imagined and soon found out… 

Step one: Take off the shorts.

Step two: Pull in a stool and place it right in front of the WC.

Step three: Put the bachcha on the stool facing the WC with you standing close behind him. {He may look like he is about to fall head long into it coz he has never seen the WC from this angle, and is majorly curious. So, hold on to him REAL TIGHT!}

Step four: Coo sweet words of initiation….that may go something like this, “hi lil baby, wannna pee? See how nice this big potty is? Wow…lil baby’s gonna pee in here!” 
TIP: Make it sound like a nursery rhyme coz two year olds think any activity that can be undertaken with singing is FUN.

Step five: Hold his penis. Now this is the toughest part of all. His penis is so small, you have to hold it with two fingers and will still be scared of hurting him coz YOU don’t know how much pressure on the thing is painful and how much pressure, acceptable…..

Step six: With trepidation, hold it and aim….and wait. Coz the pressure has to build up from inside…especially with my son, who has never been able to pee with the shoo and shaa sounds….

Before we can proceed to step seven, in walks the five year old sister with the elder sis gait and command. My first thought, 
why didn’t I lock the door?

Sister - “What are YOU doing mama?”
Me - “Teaching Abhir to pee.” 
Sister - “Why?” 
Me - “So he can pee like papa.”
Sister - “Papa stands and pees?”
 
Uh-oh….. 

Me - “Yes. All boys stand and pee.” 
Sister - “Oh. Can I watch?” 
Me - “Ummmm…ok.”

She leans over your left shoulder, peering into the WC, asking” mama, can I touch it?” She actually means that she just wants to help you by holding his thing for him. However, the being with the delicate apparatus senses immediate danger and in his two year old prattle shouts, "No. No didi. Mama touch,” followed by “go didi. Go….” 

A fist fight seems almost inevitable at this point.

By this time, you are out of patience coz you have been doubled over, peering into the WC and let me assure you; it is not a convivial sight at all….while you’d rather be elsewhere, doing something less strenuous on your back muscles, eyes and nose. Moreover, by this time, the muscles in your fingers are aching from holding the apparatus as lightly as possible. 

Suddenly Step seven is activated: A stream…that the two year old is thrilled at viewing and wants to shove off your (now) expert fingers to take complete control. Thankfully, by the time the jostling is over, (with hollers of “stop it Abhir” by the sis in the background), the ordeal is done with.

Step eight: Pull up the shorts and get out of the loo. Had enough of examining it from such close quarters for a day.

Ofcourse, every experience teaches you something and it is this great insight that I intend sharing through this post.

So my number one tip for moms of lil boys who have to be taught how to pee standing up: LEAVE IT TO THE DADS. 

This is one father-son activity I assure you, you will be happy to be excluded from!



6 comments:

The Seeker said...

This can be aptly called An instructions manual.. I didn't honestly knew, what it is to help a kid pee, till I once had to help a little guy, totally a stranger. Was in the men's and when I was about to leave, there walked a kid, must be three or four year, and he kind of struggled, then I saw the mother anxiously peeping through the half-closed doors. There was no-body inside, I asked her to help him, but she refused, she assured me, that the kid will manage, before I could leave, the guy tugged my shirt and asked me to help him. That was cho chweet of him, a half-scared, half-hesitant smile and a pleading. I did help him, the same way, get the shorts out, pulled the chaddi down, hold him in one hand, helped him pee, only to find out that he did pee on my pants....

That's far better than, what I did as a kid, as how other family members and mom tease me still, I used to tell,,, uhnnnn for peeing and uhnnn uhnnn uhnnn for the other....

And this post kind of reminded me of how important it is to be properly potty-trained for kids, and I thoroughly agree with you, that it is ought to be a thoroughly dad-son ritual...

Jiju, what say???

AmitL said...

ROFL...Ritu,this was too funny!!!thanks for recalling those memories.

Arunima said...

ha ha ha! enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

Guess, that comes from children not getting to play in lawns with water hoses. Modified version:

Step one: Let a kid play with a water hose.

Step two: Tell him to direct the water to a particular spot.

Step three: When he wants to pee, he will know what to do.

Unknown said...

Hey Barath: Harish wud gladly partake in such responsibility, except that when Abhir was to be trained, he was totally swamped with a full time job and a pert-time MBA. So it fell on my shoulders...and I think I did a reasonably good job coz now he is damn comfy with the procedure!!! And seriously, how nice of you to help the lil fellow!!! One can't always count on such sweet gestures from complete strangers u know...

Hey Amit: :-)

Hiiii Arunima: Looong time no see....

Hey Paradox: Thats a good idea...but u know, we ppl live in them high rises...no scope of handling a water hose etc etc... But next time I hafta train a lil boy, I will remember :-D

workhard said...

LOL, thanks for the step by step instruction...It ll help me in the future..