Sunday, March 8, 2009

Is 8th March a landmark day for you?


I open the bunch of newspapers in the morning and splashed all over are International Women's Day stories. Are women safe? Do women in India have it all or is all this talk of equality etc a mere illusion? Inspiring stories of women achievers adorn the pages. Working women, non-working women, women with opinions, women with dreams.... I pour over the papers, read what some interesting and articulate women have to say.... 

Then I get up and go to the kitchen to whip up breakfast for the family. Discuss lunch plans with the hubby. He wants to take me out for a Play in the evening...there are two good ones showing in the city. But we discuss the practical difficulties (the children can't come and the plays are not meant for them; we have no one to baby sit them.) We may go out for dinner (which I am not so keen about since I want to avoid liquor and outside food for health reasons). We may just end up spending the sunday, like any other sunday: tidying up a bit, cooking a lot, checking emails, and maybe lazing in the afternoon.

So much for an International Women's Day celebration...a day that is supposed to...I don't know...light up my life, make others around me appreciate me more, make me appreciate women around me more, allow me the liberty to take time off household chores, hang out with friends???? 

But what if I can do all this and more the other 364 days a year? How can one day signify or change what I am and what people should expect out of me? How much does this ONE day matter?

Is 8th March really such a landmark day for you?

8 comments:

Aathira Nair said...

Very true Ritu.

I agree that its is always wonderful to have a special day for no reason at all, as compared to having to celebrate a special day along with anyone else!

Thats why I feel anniversaries are the best, they are special, just for you

Anonymous said...

this day is as special as any of the so called 'days'. be it friendship day (which gives rowdys to make cheap comments on women in name of friendship), Valentine's day (which causes more violence than love)and so on....

i am neutral on this day. i like to hear about great women who have achieved something this year but at the same time my heart goes out to the women who were killed, abused, harrassed in some way this whole year. and when we see the count the latter are far more than the former.. so that talks for itself.. what and why we need to celebrate...

Anonymous said...

Everyday is a landmark day.... as the day of your family wont just go on without you...

Unknown said...

Agree with u.Everyday is our day .Can u think of a world without women or do u think that thinks will go smoothly without us.

Surhuda said...

Hi Ritu,

Well said. I guess women's day is plain anachronism. If anything, the idea is used by the media and advertisers as a platform where they show case just a few so called ' special women '. In reality, any day is just the same for an average Indian woman with all the multitasking that goes into looking after family, fuelling one's own job and career needs, being an ideal wife, cook, baby sitter all rolled into one. The day doesnt make womanhood any special or different. Its a plain reminder of the freedom of women from gory practices of yore..and that the world celebrates the day of the big strike by women workers in New York is a good thing. Thats all.

Surhuda

SS said...

I think I don't mind having a women's day. With some special offers in shops and parlors, good articles in newpapers and some women's meet in the office :) The day was made special by my hubby by taking us to resort for a dip in the pool and shopping later ...but he would probably done that on any random sunday :). All I am saying is that I would rather "try" to make the day special that be cynical about it.

Das said...

God show mercy to all women and girls and shower them with all blessings and goodwill. ive them all the courage, strength and determination to cross all hurdles for peace and tranquliity.

HOW WAS U R DAY OUT?

The Seeker said...

it is actually not.. Well, I do have a point here! I believe I have, well the rest is in the next post...

And A day to celebrate the enduring spirit of women, Best wishes chechi!!!