Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Sometimes LOVE just ain't enough



I thought he would care. And I know he did. For a while. 

But we are back to square one again and I'm in a quandry. I've shed tears that I now know were in vain. I am heart broken no doubt. I am also so worried. What in the world can I do now? I've exhausted the best 'shastra' I had in my kitty and it did not work. 

This rambling does deserve a background...and here it is:

My hubby smokes. A lot. There was a time when he would contain his ciggarettes to three or four a day. These days, I've lost track because he refuses to tell me how many. But I know its a lot because a few years ago he used to buy 'singles' and now he buys a pack.

I am worried. I always have been. Initially I laid down many ground rules to discourage it such as turning our home into a 'No Smoking' zone. Ever since he turned the balcony into an 'adda' I thought asking him not to smoke there would contain it. No such luck! He now goes to the Parking lot to smoke. Going down three flights of stairs is no mean task, but he is willing to devote that much time to the activity.

I've watched him smoke. He is never in a hurry. He actually 'enjoys' it. It is like meditation for him and that worries me more.

I grew up watching my brave mother struggle with hospitals, cardiologists and all the stress that goes with it, since the day my dad, a smoker, first went to a hospital with a heart attack when I was barely 11. Dad still smokes, despite his Bypass surgery! 

I spent a great deal of my growing years attending to relatives in hospitals (dad, gran' dad, gran'ma) so hospitals don't really scare me. What upsets me is the trauma the family goes through, waiting outside ICUs, getting snippets of information from Doctors who consider you incompetent to understand the scope of the problem so you never really know what is happening, being at the complete mercy of the hospital staff....and managing your emotions, your children etc.

I consider my mother to be the bravest person I know because I have witnessed her struggle as dad lay covered by tubes, handling our school routines and the home.

So when I saw that my hubby's smoking had gone up a lot, I thought I would adopt the 'black mail' method since all my pleading, reasoning, nagging, threatening over the past decade or so had fallen to deaf years. 

I did what I could do best. I am a hypertensive and my daily pill is the sole reason I pull through a hectic day. Without it I experience severe symptoms of a rise in the Blood Pressure. 

Since I forget to take it everyday, he is in the habit of reminding me. One day I revealed that I'd given it up....until he quit smoking. He was aghast and pleaded with me but I was adamant. For over two weeks I suffered the headaches, swollen ankles, water retention etc. 

I was hoping he would stop this lethal addiction. 

He did not smoke for about a week and promised me that this would be the norm.  

Three days later, the ciggarette is in his pocket again. 

This song by Patti Smith - Sometimes love just ain't enough - reflects the feelings of my heart

But there's a danger in loving somebody too much,
and it's sad when you know it's your heart you can't trust.
There's a reason why people don't stay where they are.
Baby, sometimes, love just aint enough.

Now, I could never change you
I don't want to blame you.
Baby, you don't have to take the fall.
Yes, I may have hurt you, but I did not desert you.
Maybe I just want to have it all.

It makes a sound like thunder
it makes me feel like rain.
And like a fool who will never see the truth,
I keep thinking something's gonna change.


Am I really the fool? Or is love really not enough?

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love is powerful enough - sometimes times are tough
Smoking is very addictive n needs determination to quit.

Anonymous said...

Something's gonna change - because love is powerful

Anonymous said...

Believe - in love - us...

Pretty Woman said...

Its all about self control. I think it has come from within to quit smoking. He has to make that decision for himself...I hope and pray when he realises it, it does not get too late...I totally understand how you feel babes...

AmitL said...

Hi,Ritu..I guess smoking(Thankfully,I haven't gotten tempted to try it so far)is pretty addictive. Last week only,this friend of mine rushed to India-he was getting breathless after walking a few mins,so we'd told him to get a checkup done.And,what came up was some water in lungs(even the Xray/ECG was not clear),high BP,high sugar,some veins blocked.And,main cause for troubles-smoking and paan masala.Sigh!!But,then,even on the way to the airport,he insisted on buying a paan masala,'to pass the two hours'of waiting for the plane.So, I can well imagine the difficulty your husband would be having...I guess you just have to keep trying to convince him to give up.Without letting your hypertense nature take over.(And,here I was,thinking you're a gentle,quiet person.The term 'hypertense'never crossed my mind*smiles*)

Anonymous said...

Ritu, you are such an understanding and caring person. I am no expert as far as smoking is concerned. But if it seems OK, try to find out whether he is under strain or tension? "Why" he revert to smoking? Is someone near and dear one is ill or some professional upheaval? Males generally think that if they will unburden themselves or reveal their fears to their partners they have failed themselves somewhere. They often want to see themselves as providers and giver. Please don't feel offended if I have written something wrong. Just try to find out "why". My elder nephew does it too when his exams are near. I too tried to ban him, took away his cigarettes and stopped giving him money. But still find it, one day, in his pocket. I took it out and just said that if you want, you can smoke in front of me. From now onwards no hiding from it. But he is my nephew and still a child for me. It is perfectly ok if he sobs like a girl holding me. But husbands... If you find out the "why" it will be easier for you to understand his desire to smoke. If you want, give him something interesting to eat or drink when he feels the urge to smoke. That will distract him and his urge will pass.

Anonymous said...

All we can do is to pray to the lord to give good sense to these men. As u know iam also sailing in the same boat like u.
I am sure that one day things will be alrite.

Arunima said...

my husband used to smoke a lot. He decided to quit one day and never touched it again. It happened before we met. I am just lucky I didn't have to go through all these.

By the way, anonymous looks like your hubby and he seems to care about you. :-)

Aathira Nair said...

I know what you mean... my dad smokes till date and he reduced it, but I know he will never give it up. It hurts to see this, but then I have just grown to accept this in anyone.

I mean they should know what is best for them. As you say, you have done and tried everything, so now he needs to take a step from his side if anything at all needs to happen.

I have friends who smoke, and I tell them at times, but that just makes them not smoke in front of me.

What you did with your hypertension pills, please don't do that. I think that's more dangerous at present than the smoking.

Unknown said...

Hi Amit: Hypertension is a medical condition, and I am a quiet gentle person :-)

Hi Alka: I read and re-read your words several times. I agree that he is tensed about a lot of things and that increases his smoking. But you know I am also under tremendous pressure work-wise 24/7. Does that mean I should get into an addiction to calm me? I think, smoking needs to be tackled like a disease but its the casual manner in which smokers deal with the issue that makes it difficult to quit.

Hi didi: I hope so too!

Hey Arunima: Your hubby won the battle. I am so happy for him and for you too. As for 'Anonymous' I think so too... :-)

Hey Aathira: I know what you mean. And I think I will never play with my health again. I learnt a lesson in two weeks. I wonder when hubby dear will learn his.

Anu Vishal said...

my idea may sound really stupid, but all the same i am sharing it with u.... u too start smoking with him.... and the rest u know what ll happen... may be it works...

Anonymous said...

Ritu, I understand what you are saying.You already have seen the ill effects of smoking and what your mother had gone through due to this. But things are bound to improve when you are there for him. He won't be able to ignore you for long. :-) But won't ever play with your health.

AmitL said...

Hi,Ritu-ah,thanks for the clarification..hehe.Have a nice day!:)

Anonymous said...

Good.....

Unknown said...

Hi Anu: Nahin yaar!!!! Somehow, I can't... The only thing I am truly addicted to is keeping my self busy...

Hi Alka: Thank you. I appreciate your support. :-)

Hi Amit: :-D

Anonymous said...

Hiii Ma'am...Where are you....?

Anu Vishal said...

hey no no!! i think i did not make it clear... i mean to say that just give him a company a couple of times when he smoke...( i am sure you 'll not get addicted...and yes make sure u dont do it in front of the kids..) when you start smoking too, he ll realise how harmful it is for "YOU"! it might work Ritu!

Romila said...

Don't give up, Ritu. I say, keep reminding him how much smoking hurts you and him and the kids.

One day, I am sure he'll give up.

Love that song. Love will win, I am sure.

Unknown said...

Hi Just Someone: Im around. Just kinda stuck.

Hi Anu: Thanks for the clarification. I may heed your advise you know. Sometimes I feel such anguish that I'd actually try anything!

Hey Romila: Thank you. I hope he does. I love that song too.

Anonymous said...

General people dont take to drugs, beause they know that it is 'addictive' - while it is known that smoking is injurious to health - few know that it is as addictive - if not more - than drugs. The addiction is very difficult to quit and people get into it not knowing how addictive it is. So pls - never ever even try it.

Unknown said...

Hi Just Someone: I will heed your words I promise!

Anonymous said...

Thank you.... hope you will get 'unstuck' soon.... and write

Jayanta Oinam said...

Somebody told me: the healing process begins within the first 20 minutes of quitting. This is a better part. And I have also known that smoking is rather a culture than the addiction itself. Culture is culture.

I am thinking of a song by Bon Jovi. It starts like this: "Regrets are all you left, on your lipstick stains...Take a picture of our past there in that ashtray"...The song is "last Cigaratte".

A cigaratte, my fingers and a smoke swirling over my breathe...what a feeling.

We should ban cigaratte?

stony said...

Happened to pass by.

Love just ain't enough, sometimes indifference pays.

Many men don't like their women telling them to quit certain habits. Even if they wanted to quit, they wouldn't, if preached.

I am sure he would love to quit smoking only if he knew how.

I am not sure but you might be doing him more harm than good by talking about it too often or by citing example of your father's heart-attack.

Since all your efforts have failed, why don't you give it a chance by not worrying about it.

Periodical medical checks like lipid profile and TMT could be a good idea (without your insisting too much). If reports are good, it will help reduce your hypertension. If the report is bad, then the doctor's advise will be much more effective than yours.

You may also try to co-relate his smoking freqency with other events like your own hypertension or activities. Giving up your own therapy is ridiculous. It will aggravate your hypertension and increase his smoking.

Reluctant quill said...

Smoking is absolutely harmful for health...of the smoker and for others near and dear. A person starts his (or her) smokey life at a stage when the arrogance of youth makes them feel that they are untouchable....you know the general perceptions...'It always happens to the others'. When age catches up...when maturity sinks in...mostly its too late...the addiction has set in. A smoker lights up for many reasons...due boredome...for a break from work...for a moment of introspection...People smoke not to spite or hurt anyone...its not that they do not wish to quit...Hell, if they could quit when they wished, it wouldn't be an addiction would it? If there is a sudden increase in the smoking, its indicative as Alka said, of tension. Each person handles stress in their own way...every smoker lights up at the first instance. Quitting the habit is as stressful...emotional blackmail adds to the stress...which led him to light up in the first instance :) Quit he must. There is no two ways about it...but its important that the process should be at a time when the environment-professional or personal, is less stressful. So that he can work on one issue at a time...so that the change stays, becomes permanent.

Unknown said...

Hi Jayanta: If only we'd see the harm cigs are causing us we'd ban them. The revenue earned has become more imp today!

Hi Stony: I was indifferent for the first few years. Course, every man worth his ***** will think that nagging women must not be conceded to. I care about the guy and what he is doing to himself. If I cant tell him that then my relsp with him becomes a sham...an arrangement. He was in the Armed Forces where he underwent a battery of tests for every Annual Medical check up. There isn't a doc who hasn't told him not to smoke. And yet.....

Anyways, I will heed the advise of many and stop worrying. If something drastic has to happen, I will bear the cross the way my mom did...uncomplainingly and bravely. And yet, at the end of the day be called a 'nagging wife'.

Unknown said...

Hey Jae, your first ever comment on my blog! super!

The conducive environment will never exist. Why not take charge of your life instead of letting your life take charge of u? I have stress in my life, personal and professional...should I take to smoking too????

Excuses are but, excuses. He needs to shed the lethargy and inertia and take responsibility for his health, becoz with his health and happiness is connected our happiness and well being.

stony said...

Didn't know the background. Take care.

Stop worrying. It may complicate your and his health further.

Good luck.

Unknown said...

Thank u Stony!

Anonymous said...

Well... I guess you wont be called a "nagging wife"......