Monday, March 12, 2012

A post of Gratitude, 3 gifts and a beautiful woman named Yamini!

I have immense respect and adoration for her. She gave me ardent support when I was the archetype stressed mother of two without reliable day support for them as I slogged my backside to pursue a passion/profession!

I don't want to call her home a "day care" or "creche" because what she has given my children, and all the other children who have walked into her fold, is a lot more than just a substitute to home.

She has given my children a home. A place where they can BE. Comfortable, safe and happy.

She gave my children TLC (tender loving care) when we couldn't leave everything we were doing to rush to their aid.

She ensured that they completed their home work to decrease the burden on us.

She gave them space, TV time, play time, happy times and loads of fun times with multiple parties and celebrations (festivals, birthdays and what not!)

My children went to her, straight from school, for three years before the daughter decided she had outgrown it and wanted to be home every single day. The son missed his friends like crazy and for the first few weeks of transition would go straight to her place after school and come home only when I asked him to.

She never once, not once, sent him home, because I wasn't paying her anymore, nor did she spare any effort to reach out to my tween "I know what I want mom" daughter... They still get invited to the birthday celebs of their erstwhile mates... Such is her all encompassing love for children...

And I have missed the support she gave us so unconditionally (especially now that I am virtually stuck at home, and have to perforce cook three meals AND ensure the fussy lad eats too)... She did it all and didn't complain... Tackled the tantrum throwing of the fast-growing daughter and the hyperactive always-getting-into-trouble son...

There was no "closing" time, and even as we'd brave rush hour traffic to pick them up on the stipulated time, we knew that they will be safe and happy even if we were to get delayed by a half hour or so. She never once, ever, made us feel guilty for not having picked them on time...unlike many so-called professional outfits I'd encountered that would call and actually threaten us while we'd be stuck in a traffic snarl that we would not be able to crash through or fly over.

Card 25
The children stayed over at her place a couple of times when I was tied up covering an event that would mean staying out till 11 pm. She would always assure me that they would be fed and that I shouldn't worry about picking them up at 11, disturb them if they're asleep. Instead she would reassure me that they will be taken care of and will be home the next morning!

To a working mother, such a woman is nothing short of a guardian angel and therefore, for card 25 of the Joy of Giving, my children and I decided to create something and gift her.

Son and daughter made glass paintings, and I a poster (toyed with the idea of a cake but wanted to give her something that would express my feeling of gratitude completely and words ARE my 'craft' anyways)...

Abhir

Oorja

Me!

This evening, we shall give her the gifts we've crafted...which are still inadequate for all that she has done for us as a family.




3 comments:

Rahmath said...

It's extremly bueatiful and lovely Ritu.

She must have been very happy when she got this.

The Glass paintings and the card looks so extremly professional.

Maybe Abhir and Oorja should start a blog of their own teaching us how to do it.

abhilash.p said...

wow! can't imagine the look on her face this eve..... :)

Shyam said...

Thanks again Ritu, Urja & Abhir for your graciousness.

Finally managed to get Yamini to read your articulation of appreciation. She read silently, intently & smiled, the same subtle, simple reaction I've seen time & time again when she's 'content'. Be it watching folks relish the yummy food she makes or after organizing a cultural program in campus. Yamini loves people, specially kids.

We both find immense satisfaction & contentment in the fact that in the decade gone by, we have been able to share our home with so MANY children. The ones the world calls 'wonders' 'wanderers' 'wild ones' & 'write offs'. It's sheer joy that these lil ones shared 'everything', that I jest with Yamini about contesting Gandhiji's claim to being 'Father Of The Nation' :)

These are tough times but it's an inspiration to watch single mother's specially the non affluent class strive passionately to provide for their kids.

'It's that 'anything karega for you' kinda effort, for a simple SMILE & HUG @ end of the day, something most men simply can't do.

There are young mothers ditched midstream by duds but toil extreme long hours others, harassed, hounded by the seemingly heartless world around.

I should say often the rich ones rarely give a damn, demand 'discounts', delay payment & even debate.

But over the years realization dawned on us, on the 'pattern' of how divinity directs such folks to us & we are content to be HIS medium of manifestation.

Not sure about our material conquest in this life, but certain we have done our karma & I guess that's all that counts in the 'final' analysis.

In the closing thank you again, for your expression sparked introspection & I must say that I am more 'worldly' than Yamini & I was absolutely thrilled to see 'yukti' not shakti enable Aabhir play soccer again.

Cheers :)