Sunday, January 15, 2012

Joy of Giving - Card 17 - Rahmath

Rahmath who has been following the Joy of Giving wrote this on her blog for Card 17:


The card that Ritu posted on 2.1.2012 was "Visit a place of worship other than your own".

I think I will pass this one. Why?

I have visited my fair share of churches, temples,mosques and recently I visited a Gurudwara. I would like to visit a Budhdhist temple someday though I don't know of any nearby. I feel I have already completed the purpose of the card. The best prayer which arose in my heart was in the foot hills of the himalayas, where there was no shrine of any religion, at sight. Personally I am on my way of rejecting organised religion of any form. Recently I declared to a perfect stranger who was trying to persuade me to do something religious that I did not beleive in any religion.

She said " Oh that's bad"

I said "Oh no, its good .I am secular."

I cannot tell you how liberated I felt . I have never done that before. Don't get me wrong. I am a theist; maybe, even a die hard one. But I no longer beleive in any kind of man made boundaries. But again, I am not against Atheism.

This Rambling reminded me of a post I wrote for fun when I was thinking about the impact of religion in our lives. If you liked what I wrote in the previous paragraphs maybe you will like to read that post too. Maybe you will enjoy it.

Rahmath, you're not alone. My husband and I desist from filling up the 'Religion' column on all sorts of forms (the only one we couldn't avoid was the Passport application). But in the admission forms of schools, even in my own college application, for the MA I pursued after my marriage, I refused to fill the religion column. When compelled, I write Indian. 

I am proud that after years of conditioning my daughter has also begun responding to the Religion questions with an 'I am Indian' refrain. 

Not because we don't take pride in being Hindus. But our Nation, the Motherland comes before our religion for us. SO I understand your sentiment and believe that each of us, especially Indians, were to adopt the 'I am an Indian First" stance (without compromising our religions or personal equations with the Maker), we'd make the world a better place!



4 comments:

abhilash.p said...

i had gone to the buddhist temple in coorg.... will send my blog link soon... :)

Rahmath said...

I and my husband have also stopped filling the religion column.I just put secular now a days...But we just started it. They allow to put secular in school admission forms? You are an inspiration ritu. I feel happier now a days. I look forward to the cards every monday.

Anonymous said...

Hats off - to both of you... its not easy to write 'secular' or 'Indian' - it would be acceptable - but not without raising eyebrows and possibly indulgent sarcasm too...
And I totally agree - Ritu you are an inspiration.
Just Someone

Unknown said...

Hey Abhilash, do so!

Hey Rahmath... Its so nice to know that there are others who look forward to the card every Monday apart from me! :-)

This week's card coming up in a few mns and its easy peasy :-))))