Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Joy of Giving - Card 13 experience



My friend and fellow blogger Alka wrote this on FB for the Joy of Giving card 13

She has been making tea for the security guards in her society for "selfish reasons" she says. Once you read what the selfish reason is, I assure you, you will be tempted to become just as 'selfish'.

I reproduce this with her permission. Read on:

I often used to make pot of tea for the security guards. I even bought thermos flasks for such purpose only. I used to put thermos at an appropriate place from where the security guards can spot it easily. I remember my niece TP was barely a year old at that time. I used to balance TP and tea-pot when I went out to give tea to security guard. One day, I was sitting and watching television when TP came towards me and said something to the tune of 'Gawd'. I was pretty confused what she wanted from me. I asked her to repeat what she was trying to convey. Frustrated with my lack of understanding, Toddler TP forced me to abandon TV and she tried to drag me to my bedroom. There she pointed towards my jacket and told me again, 'Gawd, cha'!!!! Then it struck to me, she wanted me to make tea, place her on my waist and have tea-pot in my other hand and hand it over to Guard!! How closely kids watch us is sometimes frightening.

Later on we shifted to another apartment. Here too, I used to make tea for security guards on and often. Even today, the guard came and handed me a fancy tea-pot. Sometimes they get spare milk from somewhere and ask me to make tea. Sometimes they get milk and sugar and ask for tea leaves only. These days, winter has set in suddenly and I try to give our security guards tea everyday.In fact we have 63 flats in our society. If residents of every flat provide guards with tea, their next turn will come after 2 months! But its too much to expect, I think.

I am not an altruistic person. When I do something like this, I have a very selfish reason. I want my surroundings to be pleasant and full of positive energy. Small acts like this fulfill my selfish purpose. Security guards always greet me cheerfully. They are more than happy to help me in our hour of need. One day my nephew was returning from office. It was quite late, in fact 2:30 AM. Street dogs were getting quite ferocious with him. He phoned me, stating his plight. I assured him, that I will pick him up. But when I tried to start my car, it refused to come to life. I went to the security guard and told him about the problem. He immediately told me not to worry. He narrated the entire incident to another guard. Told him to be vigil as he was going out for few minutes. He took his danda to scare away the dogs and came back with my nephew in five minutes!

5 comments:

Rahmath said...

@ Alka Wow! That's so great.Some people dont seem to need these cards to make them do something and i am so glad i am getting to meet them indirectly at least.

Hi Ritu. I Was thinking of sharing your page in my facebook.I feel Your's will be much effective than mine.Can i ?

One of my colleagues wanted to follow the cards as well.But she is not a blogger.So she asked me to ask you how to do that .Like i have a follow through email option.Do you?

Unknown said...

Hey Rahmath, sure you can share my page... Intention is to get as many to join in as possible...

I checked with Blogger and your colleague can get the posts in her Inbox but she will have to give me her mail id. I will add it to my list (as blogger doesn't have an auomatic follow through email option) and she will start receiving notifications. You could send her maild id to my personal id ritugoyalharish@gmail.com

Alka said...

@Rahmath, thank you so much for leaving a comment. As soon as I reach home, I will visit your blog.

Anonymous said...

@Alka- If the rest of human kind was as 'selfish' as you are, what a wonderful world it'd be to live in! Kudos to you and your principles!!

Jae

Alka said...

@Jae, thank you for your encouraging words.