Friday, August 17, 2012

Where is Home?

I have mixed feelings about the exodus of our brethren from the North East going back to their respective states after the reprehensible attack on some of them in what would perhaps be the most cosmopolitan cities of India, Pune and Bangalore.

I do not for one moment condone their reaction - that of leaving these cities that are part of their Motherland to return to their "homes".  Yes, when there is a presumable threat on the lives of ordinary people based purely on their state of origin, it is but human to pack up your bags and head home.

When I think deeper, the feeling I really have is that of envy. Because these, my fellow citizens, have a place called home to go back to.

I am a marwari who was born and raised in Kerala and who has lived more than half her life in several parts of the country (courtesy that husband was in the Defence). So ask me what is home to me and I don't have a better answer than India.

My forefathers belonged to Rajasthan but had migrated to Haryana long before my father was born. Does that make Haryana home to me? A state where my father no longer lives, nor has any family, property, or connections...is that my "home"?

I was born and raised in Kerala where my father chose to move to, to earn his living almost 45 years ago. We have blended in enough to speak the language and adopt various facets of their culture and cuisine....to the extent that comfort food for my siblings and I is avial and red rice. But since we don't look like them we are branded as "non-Malayalis".  Even if I, as a young adult introduced myself to a class full of students in Delhi University as a Keralite, the reality is that we are not treated or considered as one of them. And perhaps we never will. So what then is "home" for us - my parents and siblings?

Today I live in Pune - a city I have chosen to live in for the last six years. But just because I cannot speak Marathi as well as the locals, or because I drive a car that was registered in Delhi, I am a "non-Maharashtrian"... So I have to accept that this, my favourite city in the whole world, is not "home" to me either.

When Raj Thackeray, at the peak of his anti-North Indian rhetoric had urged us to go "home", I often discussed with my South Indian husband, the absurdity of it all. Where would I go, if push had come to shove and if all North Indians REALLY did have to go back?  I had no place called "home" to go to...

I am just an ordinary Indian, who has grown up to emulate the languages and cultures of all the places I have lived in. For me, India is home....which is clearly not enough. When such threats raise their ugly heads time and again, its the ordinary citizen like me, a marwari-malayali who lives in Maharashtra, displaced, without a concrete 'identity' or home state, who has no where to run or hide.

Because today clearly, in our land of diversity, it is not enough to call my Motherland my Home!

Yes, I envy my North East fellow citizens because when they felt the pressure of threat they decided to return to their "homes"...leaving behind their colleges, careers, job opportunities etc. They have a place where they will not be discriminated against on the basis of their religion or looks. They have a safe haven, where their loved ones wait for them.

While the rest of the country laments this unnecessary 'migration' back to their homes, I can only see the silver lining. Lucky them, I say!

5 comments:

Just Someone said...

So true... very well written...

Anonymous said...

The strength of our diversity is now being turned against us.

We need to become unemotionally focused in our diplomacy and stop letting our enemies use our strength against us. Like Judo, which, is founded on the principle of using the opponent's strength, weight, and momentum against them, we're being played. While we over-reach - negotiate, dither, process, endure, advice...basically do everything other than plan and execute, they maneuver, and when opportunity presents itself, act with surprising effectiveness against the bigger, seemingly stronger adversary.

Where once, we were proud to be able to call the entire nation as our 'native' place, we now are driven to rue the lack of one...

Unknown said...

Thank you JS!

Dear Anon, thanks for dropping by. I don't believe that this madness is the result of simply being played by some enemy (in this case the fingers are being pointed at our neighbour). I believe that somewhere we have always been divided on the basis of our differences and now we are choosing to become voluble about it.

If you have been a North Indian living in South India or a South Indian living in the North (and constantly subjected to epithets like "Madarasi') you will know what I am talking about.

No "outside" hand prompted Raj Thackery to ask North Indians living in Maharashtra to go 'home'. He played petty politics and caused many labourers from Bihar and UP to pack into trains like sardines, much like our North Eastern friends have done in the past few days, leading to economic losses for several businesses and Industries in his home state.

We may also recall the agitation that had caused an uproar in Tamil Nadu in the 80s some time when Hindi and Hindi speaking people were targetted ...

Anonymous said...

The madness in question now is indeed the result of a brilliant psy-op by the Pakis. But yes, as you said, we prepared the stage ourselves and invited them in to do their job.
For them, the antics of the Thackerays and their kind were like a horny bull coming across a herd of cows...an opportunity too good to lose...

MUSA said...

Oh my God!!!!

Who is anonymous?

A window of the 'Think Tank' or 'The Think Tank' itself?

Awesome....

I'm shell-shocked....

It was like seeing 'The Patriots' speak....

My Salute to 'The Anonymous'....

My Salute to 'Ritu ji' too for prompting such a reaction....

Message to 'The Anonymous': Thank you....