Friday, December 24, 2010

Parents can never get it right!

The other day my 11 year old complained.

"When I order something different in a restaurant and it doesn't taste nice you scold me for trying something new."

"And when I order Butter Chicken and Naan at a restaurant you say I should try something new!"

Ah! Parents! Bundles of contradictions.

How am I to explain to her that ordering a burger at a Vegetarian Idli-Dosa kind of place is never going to taste like McDonald's, and experimenting with a Afghani chicken or kebabs at a typical North-Indian/Mughlai restaurant is often a good change from the butter chicken and dal makhani???

At her age, we are strange and inconsistent...as I am sure I thought my parents were...

4 comments:

Just Someone said...

I know....

The Seeker said...

Well, its like this quote,
by the time I realize my parents were right, I have kids, who started to thing, I am wrong

and I know I am here after a long while... Just caught up in the whirlpool of life, Would drop here and read and leave! and God! its good, that I am writing here, Regards and love to abhir, oorja and aliyan!!!


By the way, Merry christmas!!!

Raaga said...

Aww... in my early 30s also, I get reprimanded for ordering Idli-Dosa at Haldiram's... but in Gurgaon, it was the best place... esp for Rava Dosa... but you parents...... ;-)

Unknown said...

Hey JS, Barath...

Good to see u back Barath. Will convey your wishes...

Hey Raaga...when I tell her not to order a veg burger at a pure veg joint, Im thinking of the food that will get wasted if she doesn't like it... Too practical I guess...and another downside of being parents...