Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Breathing Space

Too many young couples I have interacted with lately have used the term “breathing space” likening it to THE elusive factor in their intimate relationships. They complain that their partners do not allow them liberties to do things as they please. They lament the idea that their partners do not understand their need for “space”. “She does not let me be....”

After we were married, I smothered my husband with myself. I looked forward to spending all my time with him. I would even insist that he accompany me on our bi-monthly veggie shopping sprees. I simply wanted to be with him, reading love poems to him while the rain poured outside, cooking his favourite pasta, spending lazy sundays playing Scrabble, going on long bike rides across the rolling hills, or grabbing a late night meal at a 24 hour Coffee Shop.

I felt over powered by my love for him and I know that he felt the same way too. We rarely spent any time with friends. All we wanted was to be together. Somehow. Anyhow. Anywhere.

While he allowed me to drag him to the Cinema to catch a boring flick like An Interview with a Vampire, I tried to digest the raunchy and colourful medley of Telugu cinema. Even though he does not care for relatives and the baggage they entail, he understands why I have to be part of every ceremony we are invite to. We compromised. We adjusted.

Ultimately, if you love someone, you would be willing to surrender yourself to them; without insecurities and inhibitions; without any qualms or ego.

The Oxford Dictionary describes breathing space as “time to rest between periods of effort.” Unfortunately, in intimate relationships, one can never rest, and the effort must never cease. It’s the only way to make a relationship work.



November 2006

8 comments:

Raaga said...

I told a single friend recently that people who value their personal space and their individuality above all else and are not willing to compromise on that... should try and remain single :-)

Just Someone said...

Repeat - Well said....

Jyoti said...

Being married for 16yrs i feel we've reached a stage where we are comfortable with each other,know instictively when to move away and when to be there all through...no insecurities...and a beautiful fulfilling relationship......

Unknown said...

:-) Raaga...

Thank you JS...

Totally agree Jyoti...

Bibin said...

With all you women out there I seem to be a loner here, but this is what I have to say. :P Dont kill me........ please :)

My parents are divorced and I stay with my mom. My mom was in major depression and now she is out of it. I have lived a life where I called all the shots. Now, with the way I have lived its difficult for me not to get my space - i feel choked, literally. And I guess thats why I am single still.

I have very rarely met women who are not clingy, be it her stuff or her lover. But, when I contemplate over the relationships I see around me, I can see that a lot of the guys are really unhappy, though in front of their wives they always say nice things. The moment I call them for anything the first thing I hear is - would love to come yaar (dejected faces) but my wife, she wont let me come - might be he really does not wont to come and is using the wife as an excuse, but that cant happen with almost all my friends.

There are the exceptions though - some of the wives are understanding and that makes the husband give them time to be with their friends too or start a particular hobby. They seem to lot more happier in their relations. I just believe that too much of anything is not good. Infact the husband and wife that give space to their partners, I call them for our sojourns, which they have come a few times and trust me we have had some of the best experiences that we even talk about today.

But I also accept the fact that I have to reduce the time I spend outside if I have wife, at the same time I would not want to be with her, always, especially if she does not accept my point of view. It does not mean she has to understand it and it works both ways - its not that only she has to do this, but me too. Sometimes sharing an opinion to someone who understands your point view can make things very soothing.

I have a friend, who understands me better than anyone in this world. I am sure no woman can fill that space. And, so I expect the woman to understand this fact and give me my space.

Regards
Bibin

bibinrk10.wordpress.com - this is my blog. Please go through it and let me know what you think about it. Would love your feedback.

Unknown said...

Hey Bibin... Don't worry..no one's gonna kill you here....

Every point of view has a different perspective. Our perspectives are determined by our life's experiences to a very large extent. I am glad to read yours.

Some day I will tackle your views in a post. As of now suffice it to say "Welcome to Vivify" and do feel free to drop it any time.

Have gone through your blog as well. You have some pretty intense stuff in there... Keep writing...

bibin said...

Hey

Thanx a lot... I guess thats what lost love can do. :P

Unknown said...

If you've loved and lost Bibin, it wasn't yours to start with... I am certain your soul mate is out there somewhere. Keep an open heart, mind and keep the faith!