Sunday, March 30, 2008

Reaching out

As I renew my career as a journalist, scouting for favourable stories, I have had some tremendous experiences these last three months, meeting people from all walks of life, doing all kinds of things. I have made some good friends and good contacts...and I have had the opportunity to write the kind of stories I've always wanted to write.

Most times I go to meet my story subjects alone. I am usually overwhelmed by the state of the underpriveleged children I meet, proud of their guardians and those Indians, who in a small measure are doing humungous acts....

Through all this, I often think if my children will be able to appreciate the goodness in a human heart (that to my delight, still EXISTS), if they will not get trapped in material pursuits and be able to look at an underpriveleged child with care and love...

On Saturday, I took my children to meet young Pooja whose story I am going to feature in the newspaper. She is 10 and helps her mother run a little tea stall outside Simbiosis College. She has a brilliant mind and wants to study. Her mother wants her to study as well. But she is all her mother has for support to run the tea stall. So she skips school many times.

When I asked her about her father, tears rolled down. "He beats me when I do something wrong or nothing wrong." I give her a hug and tell her that she is brave girl for wanting to go to school despite the problems at home. My daughter watched her and I saw a look of surprise and empathy on her face.

As I talked to the mother, a series of actions followed.

Oorja gave the girl Rs 10. It is money that the tooth fairy had left for her and she has been saving it all up. The girl felt shy but as I encouraged her to buy "pencils etc" with it, she took it. A few minutes later, Oorja gave her another ten rupee note....another one from her savings.

A little while later, she asked me, "Mama, can I give her my hair band?" She was wearing one...and as I said "Yes, if you'd like to," off it came and went to Pooja.

As we drank tea at the stall and chatted, Oorja came to me and whispered, "Can I play with her?" I nodded in assent. Before she could ask Pooja, a deluge of customers converged. Mother and daughter got busy and she did not have the opportunity to ask Pooja to play with her. As I took leave, Oorja requested me, "Please tell her that next time I will come to play with her."

What I witnessed was an eight year old child's desire to reach out to this young girl...somehow...anyhow. The best manner in which she could convey her empathy was to share her prizest possessions with Pooja.

Just as we bade our goodbyes Abhir chipped in with, "We will call her home for my Birthday Party" following in his sister's footsteps.

I am still gleaming with pride.

11 comments:

Arunima said...

welcome to blogspot. I shall come back after sometime to read all the articles that I miseed here.

Unknown said...

Hi Arunima... Not much that u've missed... Ive only just begun writing here..

Romila said...

Your job sounds interesting, plus its really nice of u to expose ur kids to other's plight.

Of course, you can blogroll me. Thanks!

Vineet Rajan said...

very touchy article. loved it, and the chemistry with the kids. :)
good that u moved to blogspot, but wordpress still is best!
great going, and thanks for the blogroll!

Aathira Nair said...

Hi

Really like your writings...

Just wanted to check .." Its okie that I have blog rolled you , right?"

Unknown said...

Hey Romila...thanks...

Hi Vinni...I usually stick aroung for 5 years...so maybe five years hence you'll find me on Wordpress...???? :-)

Hi Aathira....Its perfectly fine for you to have blogrolled me... Thank you.

Preeti Shenoy said...

Hey--l left a comment here yesterday but looks like blogger gobbled it up!
They do have their values in the right place.

Unknown said...

Hey PS..thank u...

AmitL said...

Hi,Ritu...grt to see ur recent comment on my post...and,nice to see u blogging again.

Wow to your renewing your career as a journalist..keep me posted!!

The Seeker said...

Hello.The article was very thoughtful and touching. How I wish, I were a kid, as i grew up, I lost myself in the process, I've my own inhibitions and prejudicies that prevent me sometimes from reaching out to people, Even i've this kind of inhibition when I'm about to comment on someone's blog! but I always have the courage to make an observation about the best things that I happen to read in a blog! good writing.

Unknown said...

Hi Barath.. I admire your honesty.. Not many would express themselves with such transparency...

Thank you for your encouraging words...and I look forward to many more such observations from you in the future