Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Mommy chatter


As I doubled over doing my ab crunches in the gym this morning, I marvelled at the dedication of a young man I have seen come to the gym every single morning. I reach the gym between 5:20 am and 5:30 am and have always seen this guy land before me. Once we happened to leave the gym together and I realised that he comes on a bicycle every morning and lives quite far from the gym. Last I heard him speaking to another regular, mentioning that he goes to work at about 930 or so.

This morning I was struck by the thought that the guy, who takes off with me on most days, probably reaches home around 7:45 or so…and perhaps either has a wife to look after the other chores such as tiffin cooking and packing, running a round of washing in the machine, tidying up the place etc etc…or lives with his parents or is a bachelor. Under all the circumstances, “Lucky guy” I thought.

“How I would love to live that life of carelessness and leisure; of having nothing more to do when I get back home from a fulfilling work out than enjoying a steaming cup of coffee with the cart load of newspapers we subscribe to; or simply spend fifteen minutes meditating; or jump starting the professional activities of the day….”

What I do on a typical day is rush home after the work out. At sharp 7 am I’m out and drive like a maniac to get home in 4-6 minutes flat. Because, I have to help hubby get the kids ready, make the ‘compulsory-in-school’ pigtails for daughter and hopefully have them out and in time to get their rick to school at 7:40.

This sometimes involves getting the son out of bed at 7:15 am and getting him ready in time to make it to the rick deadline! All this when hubby is the sweetest soul who manages their tiffin and gets them out of bed, (at least the older one) no mean task I assure you!

After the kids go, it’s the usual mundane household chores that need attending, leaving me, on most days with enough time to glance at the newspaper with longing eyes.

And mind you, all of this happens on GOOD days.

On bad days when hubby is out of town, I turn into the local superwoman who also has a gym routine she needs to move further up the clock…make it 5:10 am out of home. But that’s ok ‘coz she’d rather die without it!!!!

So imagine my surprise, while all through the one hour work out I envied the presumably ‘carefree’ life of the gym regular (I hope his day goes well today), drove home like a maniac and walked in at 6:40 am, hoping to find one in bed and one in the loo (courtesy the alarm I set for her), when I found my little darlings decked in the uniform!!!!

I stood frozen. Did they take ‘short cuts’? Like avoiding a bath? Or even brushing their teeth?

“No” both squealed, “We woke up early maa.”

The morning was like a dream come true. I had enough time to make their tiffin, feed them a relaxed breakfast, listen to their unending chatter and make two leisurely pigtails…. I even dropped them off to school, a rare treat for them since we live close to the school, as a bonus for making my day!

They’ve promised me that I would never have to struggle with them anymore. They even want me to take their dad to the gym in the morning!!!


I'd like to tell them that I am so thrilled that they made the effort to ease things for me, even if this were the first and the last time ever. This would qualify as the best surprise I have ever had!

11 comments:

Arunima said...

wow, may the pleasant surprises continue!

Can I share a secret? My husband works out everyday. He walks 4 kms to reach home from office. We decided not to go for a washing machine or T.V. He washes his own clothes after that and helps me in cooking, cleaning. Sometimes, he is the one who cooks all alone but I have never cooked all alone without him helping me.

while doing the dishes, he would sometimes tell me,"it's ok, I'll finish it." I don't even feel guilty and wait but wash my hands and run dancing like a child.

AmitL said...

Hi,Ritu-coming here after quite some time..I keep forgetting to add ur blog to my blogroll..surely tomorrow.:)

Wow-at your kids-that's so sweet of them.:)I'm sure you'll work out better than ever at the gym,now.:)

Just one curious question-what are the gym charges there?I mean,out here,I used to go to the gym,and use the treadmill and exercycle.The charges for six months were such that after 2 months there,I preferred to purchase a treadmill- the price came to the same as the six month charge at the gym. And,as a fringe benefit,I don't have anyone bending down and looking at my face,if I exceed twenty five minutes on the treadmill,which is what used to happen at the gym,sometimes-used to bug me,really!:)

Unknown said...

Hi ritu,i know u would be surprised, that its me who is posting a comment .But to be frank with u i am mighty impressed with ur writing,,,,,nah the right word would be pretty touched actually .......Keep on writing dear........cheers!!!!

Unknown said...

Hey Arunima...need I say, hold on to your man..he is a rare gem!!!

Hi Amit.. I looved ur description of gyms here. Its very much as you described it. And I do pay enormous amounts of money for it (reminds me that my membership is up for renewal!)

But you know, for some folks like me, we NEED to pay a gym and work out. I have a stepper at home that is quite defunct.. I lack the motivation to work out alone. As Hanif Kureshi has said in his story The Body, others' looks have enormous rewards. I am kinda goaded by others' appreciation to work out more..(although lately, the results are nil!)

Hey Savin, thanks a ton.

Unknown said...

wow! that;s some Hi-standards being set up for hubbies(refering to Arunima's comment). Hats off to such a great guy..a true gem..it's hard to find guys with un-interfering egos to part take in daily activities especially at home and best still not to brag about it for everyone to know...Lot to learn and a long way to go..and a sure inspiration.

namita said...

hey if it were the old school days I would have given you a "same pinch"! my mornings seem to be an action replay of yours...(the gym, chores, kids, tiffin routine- just 1 hour after yours)..I go to the gym after tanisha leaves for school. the drive back home is also a race against time...on days I can make it in 7 min I give myself a pat! manoj finishes a lot of stuff for me by then..but still there are a lot of things to attend to...sweet of your kids to give you such a surprise...can't imagine nirvaan doing that for the next 5 years or so..!!!! p.s-I have no intention of renewing the gym membership after this 3 mnth stint!!!!

Unknown said...

Hey honey, nice to see you commenting here :-)

Arunima is sure lucky...and so am I.. My gymming routine is a success coz I have you backing me. Without your support I would have given it up a long time ago. Infact a lot of regulars do ask me why I have such an early morning routine when I dont have a work place/job to rush to??? They have no clue that I have you supporting me!!!!

More than all else, I know how much you do for us..and how much you help ease my life... I would not excel at my profession without your unstinting support. Thank you and I love you.

Unknown said...

Hiii Namita

I suppose Nirvaan will do his bit ...but he is just a baby rt now!!!!

Hey and pls renew your membership... This fitness routine is very engaging.

For me, its my way of meditating. When I work out I dont speak to anyone in the gym. I workout like my life depends on it and it is rejuvenating, relaxing and invigorating all at once. Dont let go of it. Once you get "used" to it, it will become your life line....probably the ONLY activity you undertake in the entire day that is exclusively for YOU!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ritu, I can totally relate with you when you say, wow! what fun to have someone wind up the early morning chores for you so that you can enjoy ur morning cuppa and newspapers. But hats of to you for being able to manage gym with such an hectic morning schedule. As for me, just having a hubby and a job ensures that I do not have any time (or inclination) to go to the gym!!!

Unknown said...

Hey Aneesha... Thank you... Sometimes Id be gladder if I were actually losing weight too... he he he... But Im happy with the way things are... But really, the credit also goes to my hubby who manages it all when he is around!

Aathira Nair said...

I guess that's a wonderful surprise early in the morning :)